Friday, October 27, 2006

Random roundup

Portage event kicks off
I'll start with some of the interesting early results from the Meyers Norris Penny Prairie Classic (or the bonspiel with the longest name).

  • Kevin Martin needed an extra end to get by Asham Major League club mate Sean Grassie this morning. If you can ever be happy about a loss, this would be the time.
  • Jeff Stoughton edged Murray Woodward, 6-4.
  • Glenn Howard broke a five in the seventh end against Dave Smith to take that contest.
  • As predicted in my previous post, Randy Dutiaume was sharp in dismantling Wayne Middaugh 9-3 in seven ends.
  • Bill Kuran upset Kerry Burtnyk 6-3 in seven ends... perhaps Kuran/Wickman will meet my early season expectations of awesomeness.
  • Randy Ferbey edged another Asham Major League clubmate, James Kirkness, in 10 ends.
The next round gets cooking at 4:30 p.m. I'll keep an eye on those games and add my thoughts.


Life after Black Monday
It's been a few days since Dan left us to become the third for the Richard Muntain crew. While we had our ups and downs in the first few games of the season, we were by no means a bad team... I just think we needed a little more time together.

Of course, it was an opportunity for Dan to join his friends on an established team and make a run for the Selects.

I was bummed for a couple of days, but the situation embiggened my resolve to improve and practice hard to become a consistent player. I practised every day for the past two weeks, including an illuminating session last week with Bob Boughey at the High Performance Centre involving DartFish technology. We were able to spot some areas to be tweaked and I'm now throwing better than ever... or Better Than Ezra, for Norm McDonald fans out there.

We have a potential replacement for our skip in the wings. Rather than naming names, I will wait until things are official before blogging the details.

I seem to be cursed when it comes to sticking with the same line-up for more than a year... all I can do is maintain a positive attitude, seek out delivery analysis from experts, and practice religiously all season. I'm confident that success will come, I just need to be patient.

3 comments:

KellyC said...

A positive attitude WITH ACTION never hurt anyone for sure, but geezus!!!

KellyC said...

I was just reading in the paper about the new Sexy Curling calendar.
Sexy and curling in the same sentence . . . never thought I'd see the day.

Anonymous said...

John and boys:

so dan bolted to play with muntain eh??? well that's too bad as richard is a good player but john white is a better one (sorry richard but more sympathy for bender)... you better prove me right John!!!