Thursday, January 31, 2008

Will I play competitive again?

I start with an apology for my lack of posts here.

It's hard to be inspired to post when you are not playing competitively.

It's been an odd season. We entered the Zones, lost our first game to Bob Sigurdson in an extra end by an inch, lost our second game to eventual finallist Les Hooper after our third blew out his knee, and that was that.

I entered the MCA as a fifth with Bob Sigurdson, but only to play if they were bumped into the minors. That never happened and they earned a trip to Brandon and the provincials. I won't be going, however, as they decided not to name me as a fifth on their roster. I wasn't expecting them to, so no real loss.

So here we are again. I must begin the painful process of trying to latch on with a competitive team for the third season in a row.

I've discovered one thing in sparing as a front-ender... I much prefer playing third. I'm more engaged watching line on skip's rocks, strategizing and throwing more hits during the game.

If I don't get picked up next season I may re-examine the whole "competitive" thing. We'll see how things go.

3 comments:

KellyC said...

Hmm. Well, let's start by removing the term "latch on" and replacing that with "joining and contributing" :P
Keep puttin' it out there.

Unknown said...

Hello,
I am creating a documentary on curling and would appreciate help in finding subjects to star in this project. I’m a Red River College creative communications student planning to create this video for a term project beginning in the fall.

I am look for people with interesting curling stories: professionals or amateurs, individuals, teams or clubs. Do you know someone who has curled for many years, someone who lives for curling, someone who curls despite…illness, age, etc. Or does your club have an interesting story in itself?

Please feel free to forward this email on to friends, family and club members.

Any recommendations you have are helpful, as I the direct focus on the documentary will depend on the stories I can find. Don’t worry about providing contact information at this time.

The plan is to finish the project by this time next year and have it aired on the CBC, promoting the sport so many Manitobans love! (I have had some interest from CBC already).

As for myself, I grew up curling in Plum Coulee, Manitoba, and continued on to the Winkler Curling Club. Although I no longer take to the ice, I am still an avid spectator and have many friends and family closely involved on the recreational and professional level. I will be using this project to display our love of the game and to peak the interest of various viewers still unfamiliar with the sport of curling.

I can be reached by email at Jolene@mts.net or by phone at (204) 999-6251.

Thanks so much for helping me with this project. It’s greatly appreciated.

Jolene Bergen
Jolene@mts.net
(204) 999-6251

John White said...

I'll be glad to help.