Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I feel like Eric Lindros

OK. When I say I feel like Eric Lindros, I'm referring to what he felt like after his face ran into Scott Stevens' shoulder a few years back.

Thanks to a wicked sinus flare up and the associative medication needed to quell the pain, I was not exactly "on" last night in our Asham Major League game against the Barb Spencer squad. While we managed a 6-6 draw, we were sloppier than Ozzy Osbourne at a song bird buffet. It was like I was hitting the ice for the first time, as I didn't find my frozen sea legs at all.

Speaking of the ice, it was straighter than the drive from Winnipeg to Brandon... negative ice for outside in draws on both sides! And, if you threw anything above control takeout weight, you were doomed to heck for all curling eternity (or at least until Zones).

Kristin Loder was dialed in, though, earning player of the game honours from our team. Barb Spencer was unable to make the contest because of poor road conditions which was a shame because she's been playing very well of late.

THIS AND THAT: I really miss my daily practice sessions, as the Granite is playing host to the Master's Men's Zone playdowns this week and the storied nine-sheeter was closed during the Christmas break... It appears Lorne has successfully rounded out our squad with two sharp-shooters, so we'll be entering the Rural Zone 2 playdowns which run Jan. 12 to 14 in Ste. Anne. It's going to be a very tough go this year with Reid Carruthers, Murray Woodward, Wilf Peters and Gary Barkman signed on so far... During an excellent practice session before the Christmas break, I made a cute half-rock raise double to score three against myself that caused me to perform a quick fist-pump. OK, that's mildly embarrassing but no one was there to see it and it was one of my better called shots of the year...Finally, watch this space for a piece I've been chewing on for some time: The 10 Commandments of Curling.

Thanks for participating!

No comments: